We can now add to the list of victims the retired 77 year old TCU professor from Ft Worth whose body was found last week in Oklahoma--and the 11 yr. old in Sarasota, FL.
Because of these recent abductions in daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go
for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women especially have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.). DON'T DO THIS!
The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect
opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. As soon as you get into your car, lock the doors and leave.
4a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head do not drive off with them!
Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it.
As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
5a. Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
5b. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
5c. Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and
the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. Take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at night.
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times.
And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zig - zag pattern!
8. Women especially often try to be sympathetic: You can't be. It may get you raped, or killed.
Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who always played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women.
He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" in to his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
Hopefully these tips will keep you alert to possible dangers and help you react if a tragedy should occur.
It is vital to Stay Aware of your surroundings and situation and do not be shy or embarrassed about calling for help.
Top of Page
Back to Resources for Women